Close this search box.
Close this search box.
Records Request

Washington law requires state and local agencies to make public records available to the public. The law, the Washington State Public Records Act, found at RCW Ch. 42.56, supports the public’s right to be informed about what their government is doing. KID is committed to full compliance with the Public Records Act.

How do I request public records?

  • Complete the Request for Public Records form. Our form is provided to assist you and is optional.
  • The Public Records Act requires that the public records requested be “identifiable.” Please be specific when describing the records you want. For example, a request for “records about Local Improvement Districts” is too vague to enable us to search for and produce a specific public record. If necessary, we can help you complete your records request with enough detail to enable us to conduct a records search.
  • A general question is not a public disclosure request. The Public Records Act does not require KID to create records that do not exist.

Submit your request

You may submit your request via:


(509) 586-7663

Public Records Officer
Kennewick Irrigation District
2015 S. Ely St.
Kennewick, WA   99337

If you need further assistance, please contact the Public Records Officer via email or by calling 509.586.6012 ext. 148.

How long will it take?

We will acknowledge your request within 5 business days. When we acknowledge your request, we may ask additional questions to understand exactly what you need and give an estimate of the time we need to search for and produce the records.

Can my request be denied?

We carefully evaluate requests for public records to determine if we can legally release the records for the reasons given. If we must deny your request, we will send you an explanation why the request was denied and list the specific law that exempts the records from disclosure.

The Public Records Act lists certain public records that do not have to be disclosed. Some of these exemptions are intended to prevent unreasonable invasions of personal privacy or the use of public records for personal or commercial gain. Additionally, the agency’s confidential communications with its attorneys do not need to be disclosed.  A list of the exemptions can be found in RCW Ch. 42.56.

Who can I contact with questions?

For more information about filing a public records request, contact:

Lori Gibson
KID Public Records Officer
(509) 586-6012 ext. 148

Note: This webpage is not intended to be a comprehensive statement of the law regarding public records. If you have any questions or concerns, or believe that KID is in any way not complying with the Public Records Act, please contact the Public Records Officer.